Are we there yet?

Yellowstone National Park is in north western Wyoming. I visited in 1995, and was fascinated by Old Faithful [...]

#AtoZchallenge 2022: Y is for Yellowstone

Read More

I haven't done much with the photos I took last fall on a road trip from LA to upstate NY and back. One thing I did this trip was take exterior and interior shots of the motel rooms. [...]

#AtoZchallenge 2022: U is for Utah

Read More

I circumnavigated the edge of the 48 contiguous US states in 2014. Out of this came a series of altered photographs. [...]

#AtoZchallenge 2022: R is for Route US2

Read More

1982. We car camped on the beach for three weeks on a narrow spit of land between the gulf and a lagoon. [...]

#AtoZchallenge 2022: Q is for Quintana Roo

Read More

This piece is OLD! [...]

#AtoZchallenge 2022: P is for Palm Trees

Read More

The purple silk satin originated from a dressmaking commission, a prom dress for Nola. [...]

#AtoZchallenge 2022: N is for the Nola Scrappy Square

Read More

I started the Jam Portraits series after my dad passed away in March 1996. I was in residency at the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts and had a half-finished jar of jam that he and my mom had made. I then painted after every serving on my daily breakfast toast. [...]

#AtoZchallenge 2022: J is for Jam Paintings

Read More

In 2014, I did a very long road trip, circumnavigating the contiguous US. I crowdfunded the journey, and one of the rewards was an 8x5" ink sketch, drawn from life. I ended up mostly sketching breakfasts! [...]

#AtoZchallenge 2022: Breakfast in Bath

Read More

Howard Russell Butler is my Great Great Uncle. I never met him, but he is a huge influence on my art. [...]

Howard Russell Butler and Me

Read More

The striped fabric started out as lounge pants that I wore almost every day during COVID quarantine. [...]

Stripey Scrappy Square

Read More

Larry was a dear friend who passed away from COVID in July, 2020. In 2012, I helped him consolidate his huge collection of vintage textiles and garments. [...]

Larry

Read More

Poesia has a very complicated back story. Notice I used some of the same scraps used in the first weaving. Where did these originate? [...]

Poesia

Read More

This is a new series that took off when I saw the call for a juried show [...]

Scrappy Squares!

Read More

Found! Long "lost" pizza monoprint with pepperoni. [...]

Pizza Delivery!

Read More

Until yesterday morning, I truly had no idea WHAT I was going to post for X. [...]

#AtoZchallenge 2021: X is for the X Factor

Read More

This body of work began in the '70s as silkscreen monoprints. [...]

#AtoZchallenge 2021: V is for the Veil Series

Read More

This month, I will be blogging my way through the alphabet, as part of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. With each letter, I am going to feature something about my art work. Today is Arizona day (because AZ, get it?). [...]

#AtoZchallenge 2021: Let's begin with AZ

Read More

October, 1994. I'd been driving solo for four days from upstate New York. I was in northern Arizona, on I-40, and decided to detour up to Las Vegas and rendezvous with my pal Ann. US 93 is an extremely deserted stretch of highway. It runs from Williams to Las Vegas. You see a sign: "No services for 70 miles" [estimate, don't know exact amount] Hoover Dam is at the northern end, but I wasn't there yet. [...]

The Elusive Subject

Read More

In 2008-2011, I sketched my tubes of oil paint. This was my first, the Cadmium Orange: [link to art] Two years later, I sketched it a second time: [link to art] I got the idea, from Esperanza Deese, to photograph the framed piece with art supplies. And then I thought, how about with the actual tubes of paint? Easier as a concept than reality, I had to find the paints. . Not an easy mission. . Two weeks later, they were finally located. I had stored them in the garage after a workshop with Rebecca Campbell. In 2013. The cadmium orange was in a ziplock, I had lost the cap. (no photo in ziplock, [...]

The Cadmium Orange Story

Read More

Don't you love finding treasure when you least expect it? [...]

Something Old into Something New

Read More